After being continuously tortured by my friend Big Perm
‘s taco pics
, I decided to have a taco night of my own. It was very last minute and was inspired by one of our last rooftop nights at our loft in OKC.
- 2 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
- 1 lime
- 1 small onion, quartered
- bay leaf
- 1 cup of chicken broth (or water)
- 1 cup of water
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon chipotle adobo sauce
- add more in equal parts if the chicken is still too dry
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt & pepper to taste
Garnishments (take your pick)
- 1 small red onion, diced
- Shredded cheese
- Sour Cream
Salt & pepper the chicken breasts and soak with the juice of 1/2 of the lime to tenderize (30 minutes). Place chicken in a pan with the quartered onion, bay leaf, broth and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and poach for 15 minutes.
Drain and transfer chicken to a bowl. Discard the bay leaf and onion. Shred the chicken with 2 forks.
Add tomato paste and chipotle sauce, the juice from the other 1/2 of the lime, seasonings, and bit of salt. Work the mixture through the chicken evenly. Serve with tortillas and garnishments listed above.
We really liked these tacos and they’re great for leftovers. You could even use the chicken for nachos – YUM.