I bought this cookbook on a whim after seeing it on pinterest. I thought some healthier slow-cooker recipes could be beneficial, especially going into the winter months.
The first recipe I made was the tortilla-less chicken soup and we loved it. I already had cooked chicken, so we just made this on the stove top in about 15-20 minutes. Very easy and great results – the leftovers did not last long!
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts*
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 16 oz chicken broth
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 14.5 oz can of enchilada sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp each cumin & chili powder
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- optional: 1/2 cup frozen corn
- *you can substitute 1 rotisserie chicken
- In a medium pan or dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat and saute the carrots, onion, and celery until translucent (about 3-5 minutes).
- Place the sauteed veggies in the slow cooker.
- Top with the chicken breasts (*if using pre-cooked chicken, do not add to the slow cooker until the last 20 minutes of cooking).
- Add the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker, cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
If you use pre-cooked chicken, you can make this on the stove top in 15-20 minutes.