I love a good philly cheesesteak sandwich. I mean, what’s not to love? cheese, sauteed veggies, steak, delicious bread, oh so good. I’ve never attempted to make my own cheesesteak sandwich because it sounds labor intensive to slice the meat so thin. And I also don’t have a flattop to properly cook the meat. I have been eyeing these from the Little Kitchen, but haven’t actually been brave enough to attempt it yet.
So when I pinned these philly cheesesteak stuffed peppers from the Peace, Love & Low Carb blog, I wondered when I’d ever try them. However, after a quick glance at the ingredient list, I noticed that it called for only thinly sliced roast beef from the deli. That, I can do. And it turns out, the roast beef was a simple and delicious substitute for steak to make these stuffed peppers a quick and easy meal.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 8 oz. thinly sliced roast beef
- 8 slices provolone or pepperjack cheese
- 2 large green bell peppers
- 1 medium sweet onion, sliced
- 6 oz. baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tabelspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 400°. Start by slicing the peppers in half lengthwise and remove the ribs and seeds and set them aside.
Add the butter, olive oil, garlic, mushrooms, onions and a dash salt and pepper, to a large saute pan and cook over medium-low heat until the onions are tender, approximately 30 minutes.
Slice the roast beef into thin strips and stir into the onion and mushroom mix and heat through for about 3-5 minutes.
In the meantime, line the inside of each pepper with a slice of cheese (we chose pepperjack for some spice).
Next, fill each pepper with the meat mixture until they are practically overflowing.
Then top each pepper with another slice of cheese.
Bake for 15-20 minutes until the cheese on top is golden brown.
This is great for anyone avoiding carbs and it was great as leftovers too. So glad I gave this a try!
philly cheesesteak stuffed peppers
- 8 oz. Thinly Sliced Roast Beef
- 8 Slices Provolone Cheese
- 2 Large Green Bell Peppers
- 1 Medium Sweet Onion – Sliced
- 6 oz. Baby Bella Mushrooms - Sliced
- 2 Tbs. Butter
- 2 Tbs. Olive Oil
- 1 Tbs. Garlic - Minced
- Salt and Pepper - to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Slice the peppers in half lengthwise and remove ribs and seeds.
- Add butter, olive oil, garlic, mushrooms, onions and salt and pepper to a large sauté pan and cook over low-medium heat.
- Sauté until onions and mushroom are tender (approximately 30 minutes).
- Slice roast beef into thin strips and add to the onion & mushroom mixture. Cook for 3-5 minutes until heated through.
- Line the inside of each pepper with a slice of cheese and fill with the meat mixture and top with another slice of cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the cheese on top is golden brown.
adapted from peace, love and low carb